Friday, January 6, 2012

It's Official! and a lesson learned

Applying for our civil unions license
So it's official!  We applied for our civil unions license at midnight on January 1st and had a small ceremony on the 2nd to officially complete the process.  We are supposed to get a temporary certificate online, but because of some computer glitches we have not yet had a chance to print it out yet, but it is official!
After changing our status on facebook, I got an upsetting phone call from my mom later that night telling me to hist my relationship status so no one could see it (or at least any family members I had on fb).  She said a relative had called my dad asking if I was married.  *Just a little background here: I never told my dad anything about my relationship with Alana, but I always just assumed he knew (after almost 7 years I would be surprised if he didn't).  Anyway after that incident, I was scared and didn't know what to do.  I was almost positive that he would be really angry and upset so I thought the best thing to do would be to wait it out.  Usually my instinct in a situation like this would be to run away from my problems and make rash decisions, but I'm glad I didn't.  I went to pick up a package I got at home and had a quick 2 second conversation with my dad about what had happened.  He wasn't upset or didn't react badly like I had predicted.  I was so overwhelmed and shocked by how well it went, I almost broke down crying in the car.  I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.  I'm not sure how many people reading this will understand where I'm coming from, but I'm so thankful to have supportive people in my life. 
I promise more blogs will be coming soon, and I'll be sure to keep you guys updated as we plan the official ceremony later.  Hope everyone had a good new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment